- 1 block of tempeh (300g), sliced into thin pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce), for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a small bowl, mix together the chopped garlic, salt, coriander, turmeric, cumin, and white pepper.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over both sides of the tempeh slices, using your fingers to rub it in.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and water until smooth and free of lumps.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Dip each tempeh slice into the flour mixture, making sure to coat both sides evenly.
- Place the coated tempeh slices in the hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Remove the tempeh from the oil and drain on paper towels to remove any excess oil.
- Serve the Tempeh Mendoan with Sambal Kecap (sweet and spicy soy sauce) and lime wedges on the side for squeezing over the top.
Enjoy your crispy and delicious Tempeh Mendoan as a snack or as part of a larger Indonesian meal.